Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Reindeer  (Read 8341 times)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Reindeer
« on: November 13, 2010, 07:40:57 pm »
Just googling for more info but wondered if anyone here had any experience of keeping santa's little sledge drivers!?
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

fizzgigg

• Joined May 2010
  • bolton
  • catch it kill it cook it eat it waste nothing
Re: Reindeer
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2010, 07:50:36 pm »
wow good luck ive no experience but would love too good luck xx

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2010, 07:58:23 pm »
so far I've found out you need very high fences, no electric fencing, keep away from sheep and that they eat loads of hay (sounds a bit like the goats lol!!)  reindeer babies look verrrrrrrrrry cute though  ;) 
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

fizzgigg

• Joined May 2010
  • bolton
  • catch it kill it cook it eat it waste nothing
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2010, 08:09:14 pm »
what are you keeping them for pets or meat they give a beutiful hide i nearly bought 1 the other month but the mrs caught me  :P

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2010, 08:12:11 pm »
Why not go out shooting instead of trying to breed them.  Some breeds don't have a close season,and they are trying to keep the numbers down..
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2010, 09:58:14 am »
i think santa may be a bit upset if you shoot is deer. we fancied deer but the fencing would cost a fortune plus if they were to escape the local crofters may just get a little mad.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2010, 11:09:13 am »
I think the fencing has put us off, as well as the price to buy the deer (found some starting at £1250 a head!!) think we'll go with southdown sheep, nice teddy bear types.  can always train my castrated billy goat to pull a sledge!

jacob and Georgina

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2010, 11:11:35 am »
there is a person near us in Devon that offers consultancy in deer keeping and farming have toyed with the idea myself, not reigndeer but perhaps a smaller breed which do not require such high fencing!  :D

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2010, 04:41:10 pm »
Lidal has started selling reindeer steaks, they were talking about it on This Morning yesterday.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2010, 06:35:53 pm »
that'll be where my sister in law got hers from then!! she was ssaying on facebook that she had reindeer for tea - my kids would be heartbroken, rudolph, blizten and the gang all eaten before xmas!

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2010, 08:11:44 pm »
smaller breed which do not require such high fencing

good luck  ;D  ;D

jacob and Georgina

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2010, 09:51:59 pm »
i heard that there is a much much smaller breed that are quite rare will do some research and let you know  ;)

Cobra

• Joined Jun 2010
  • Somerset
    • Millers Of Sedgemoor
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2010, 09:58:08 pm »
There used to be a guy near Bristol that kept them Ill try and track him down, was few years ago but you never know.

Big contraversy over Lidles selling it at the moment, sad sods all the more for me ment to be deliciouse, santa will have to walk  ;D

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2010, 10:10:00 pm »
i heard that there is a much much smaller breed that are quite rare will do some research and let you know

i ment the jumping, not finding the small breed (just to clarify), i have wittnessed a roe deer clear a 10 foot fence from a standing start   :D

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2010, 10:47:48 am »
There are 2 deer farms within a few miles of me, one open to the public as a visitor centre with the usual courtyard of shops and a cafe around the edges but they have several breeds and can no doubt talk you through the pros and cons of breeds including reindeer..  The other produces farmed venison and is actively supporting the growth of the UK industry so would also no doubt be happy to advise depending what you were planning..

Happy to get you details if it would help - north Fife as a holiday/factfinding trip?
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS