Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Finding A Croft to Rent  (Read 39102 times)

clumbaboy

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Gretna
Finding A Croft to Rent
« on: October 27, 2010, 04:04:37 pm »
Hi Everybody,
              It has become time to branch out and leave the rat race, does anyone know where I can find crofts to rent, ideally still on the mainland or failing that a property with land to rent in scotland. I know that seems slightly vague but I have to start somewhere.
Thanks in Advance  :)

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: Finding A Croft to Rent
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 04:52:48 pm »
Can't help but wanted to say good luck, dont let the disappointments put you off.   :)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 05:28:14 pm »
Hi
Have you tried Rosemary and Dan - they were going to rent it out then decided to sell, but not sold yet so they may consider renting again.  It's in the marketplace section so you can access the details there.
Annie
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

ser3dan

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 05:39:52 pm »
As far as I'm aware, it's not just a case of renting a croft and moving - you have to be approved by the crofters commission who will consider things like previous experience, relevant skills, your knowledge, local support and family connections to other crofters / small holders.
I'm a member of the Scottish Crofting Federation who run introduction to crofting courses and hope one day soon to move and have a croft myself.
I hope that that doesn't put you off, but investigate first - I'd suggest you suss out and nail down the areas you like, and compare them to where you're likely to find work. Spend time travelling in Scotland - it's taken me 7 years to reach the point of I know where I want to be, and to be at a point in my life where I can move with the speed you need to to secure work. ' Scotland ' is a big target to hit, you need to find out where you're comfortable, where you fit, and where your skills are needed in the community. Would you like the lowlands, the highlands, the west coast, Ross-shire, Aberdeenshire, Fife? For me, I do heavy engineering so I'm pretty much confined to Aberdeenshire, but would dearly love to be on the West Coast.
It's also worth noting that crofts, and crofting are predominantly in the North and North West - Ross-shire, Highlands and Inner and Outer Hebrides, and the grants available are only available in the crofting counties. There is a move afoot to try and bring crofting to places like Moray, but you would have to be very comfortable with crofting and animal husbandry as you would be pretty much left to your own devices as a trial.
I hope that's a bit helpful and doesn't put you off - I'm off on holiday to Moray from the 5th November and have organised a load of interviews with companies and recruitment agencies for whilst I'm there. You can make it happen, but you have to push really quite hard for it!

Dan.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 05:50:58 pm by ser3dan »

bamford6

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2010, 07:41:55 pm »
ser3dan very well said ,,,i rent just out side granton ner aviemore highlands .  i had no experience whot i did is took the farm on with the old farmer living in the house he almost went bust .paid 5 yeres up front bought new house and live and work together .my computing skills management skills soon got things going  . he works when he wont's i make the stock decisions and things have been good for 2 yeres he starts 6 O'Clock till dark 7 days a week i do 4 or 5 days and yes he is like my dad .we go all over uk for stock .we have 55 pens off rare breeds 50 black rocks 200 rare breed sheep and ducks geese he naw understands every think is for sale iff people wont i hatch he sells etc the gate sales make 30 pounds a day as well as e bay and incubator fills £80 each for that .the sales off the rams made £150 each .we still are not making no money as last winter cost us a lot ,very hard some times cut off for days at a time .last Christmas snow clearing till 3 o clock same new yere .you will be tested some off the time.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 07:44:08 pm by bamford6 »

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2010, 08:28:15 pm »
good luck. its going to be hard finding a place.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2010, 08:55:28 pm »
As far as I'm aware, it's not just a case of renting a croft and moving - you have to be approved by the crofters commission who will consider things like previous experience, relevant skills, your knowledge, local support and family connections to other crofters / small holders.
I'm a member of the Scottish Crofting Federation who run introduction to crofting courses and hope one day soon to move and have a croft myself.
I hope that that doesn't put you off, but investigate first - I'd suggest you suss out and nail down the areas you like, and compare them to where you're likely to find work. Spend time travelling in Scotland - it's taken me 7 years to reach the point of I know where I want to be, and to be at a point in my life where I can move with the speed you need to to secure work. ' Scotland ' is a big target to hit, you need to find out where you're comfortable, where you fit, and where your skills are needed in the community. Would you like the lowlands, the highlands, the west coast, Ross-shire, Aberdeenshire, Fife? For me, I do heavy engineering so I'm pretty much confined to Aberdeenshire, but would dearly love to be on the West Coast.
It's also worth noting that crofts, and crofting are predominantly in the North and North West - Ross-shire, Highlands and Inner and Outer Hebrides, and the grants available are only available in the crofting counties. There is a move afoot to try and bring crofting to places like Moray, but you would have to be very comfortable with crofting and animal husbandry as you would be pretty much left to your own devices as a trial.
I hope that's a bit helpful and doesn't put you off - I'm off on holiday to Moray from the 5th November and have organised a load of interviews with companies and recruitment agencies for whilst I'm there. You can make it happen, but you have to push really quite hard for it!

Dan.
Why was our place not classed as a croft then - we were in Aberdeenshire, had 22 acres, 2 barns, an old ruined cottage as well as the main house and a CPH
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

bamford6

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2010, 09:21:31 pm »
doganjo good point the farm we have should be a croft not bigenuf .are you doing OK .i see the wether has warmed up .only till bonfire night .iv had a mad week for eggs iv had 125 a day from the quails and 60 off the hens i have no sales for them to late .so iv started a incubator up just to see whot happens .the sales are on the 6th off November and a lot will go with no reserve .i just Carnot justify the cost off feed .im about £150 a week with no sales off eggs hatching etc i hope things go well with the wether iff it lasts till Christmas it would be good .a green Christmas would be like winning the lottery all the best

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2010, 09:27:41 pm »
Why was our place not classed as a croft then - we were in Aberdeenshire, had 22 acres, 2 barns, an old ruined cottage as well as the main house and a CPH

As Dan said, crofting is limited to the "crofting counties" - Caithness, Sutherland, Ross and Cromarty, the Islands. It was about location - I'm sure someone will be able to tell is the historical background to it.

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2010, 06:45:58 pm »
As far as Shetland crofts to rent go , you just look on the Estate Agents websites for them. A rarity now though as most crofts are passed down through hereditary laws.Maybe easier to find an owned croft for sale.

ser3dan

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2010, 07:15:25 pm »
If you wanted to be on Skye or in the surrounding area, look here. If you scroll down to the bottom of the page there are croft assignations that are available.
Hope that helps a little, and that we've not managed to put you off!  ;)

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2010, 09:16:27 pm »
Crikey , why is everyone leaving Skye! Still not one with a house though , thats the problem....finding house and land together.

ser3dan

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2010, 10:04:46 am »
Crikey , why is everyone leaving Skye! Still not one with a house though , thats the problem....finding house and land together.

For me, finding house, land and a job altogether.  :D I'll get there in the end though!

saja

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2011, 12:33:00 pm »
croft for rent, little isolated but beutifull area close to sea, planning for house, does anyone know anyone who wants to croft/

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2011, 12:35:18 pm »
croft for rent, little isolated but beutifull area close to sea, planning for house, does anyone know anyone who wants to croft/
Where?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS