Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Welsh black mountain sheep, dexter cattle, ouessant sheep and guinea fowl  (Read 20522 times)

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
Re: Welsh black mountain sheep, dexter cattle, ouessant sheep and guinea fowl
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2010, 10:49:41 am »
Welcome, I dare say you will find as much help and support on here as I do.
I have Ouissant sheep, found on this site and I have Guinea fowl, noisy indeed but lovely. I would say it's a bit late in the year to be hatching but if you are still looking next spring you will be welcome to a clutch of eggs in return for postage.

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2010, 10:52:29 am »
  A friend of mine used to keep Quessants,soay and she imported Babydolls

What are Babydolls? They are new to me, but then, so were Ouissants until a few months ago!

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2010, 03:14:50 pm »
  A friend of mine used to keep Quessants,soay and she imported Babydolls

What are Babydolls? They are new to me, but then, so were Ouissants until a few months ago!

Miniture Southdown Sheep http://www.nabssar.org/    :)

dannyonthefarm

• Joined Apr 2009
  • Biddulph Moor
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2010, 01:07:59 pm »
Hi Shepard

Not sure how far you are willing to travel but there are a couple of registered Dexter's for sale close to me in Staffordshire seller wants 300 each don't no if this is a good prise here is a link.
http://www.preloved.co.uk/fuseaction-adverts.showadvert/index-1033092674/dc1f3d32.html
http://www.preloved.co.uk/fuseaction-adverts.showadvert/index-1033076022/9fae3116.html

the shepherd

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2010, 07:35:32 pm »
Hi Guys

Thanks for your help. We are now the proud owners of 7 little ouessant sheep.
And they really are so adorable. Worried if we leave them outside the fox will have them?? Anyone had a problem with this. We have a field shelter for them. But right now we are bringing them in and putting them in the stable overnight. We  bought 4 Indian runner ducks but the fox had one the first night they came home, even though the previous owner had ducks and they were all fine while they loved here. Poor little duck. thank god he did not get the drake. We now bring them into the stable every night.
Thanks for the info on the dexters. Decided to wait till spring to get the cows to save the mucking out this year and damaging the grass!! Found out hereford market is super for birds of all types and really cheap. someone bought silkies for 50p each!!!!! They also had guinea fowl.

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2010, 08:07:22 pm »
Hi never had a problem with foxes but I do worry about stray dogs. didn't the previous owners fill you in? I keep an oversized ouessant wether in with my ewes mainly to dissuade a dog from coming by more so when the ewes have their lambs. more of a worry when they are this size this lamb is a couple of days old and not prem :love:.

Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2010, 08:10:07 pm »
OH THAT IS SO SWEET  :love:

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2010, 07:40:31 pm »
Never be fooled into thinking a fox would take or attack a Ouessant just because its small and sweet! I have 20 of them and they are the hardiest sheep I have come across! They will face up to my dogs, chase any phesants that come too close and are as tough as old boots!

Lambs of any breed are often at risk from foxes but personally I think that the larger breeds whose lambs tend to be a bit dim and slow at birth are at more risk than a Ouessant lamb which stands almost immediately after birth and is almost impossible to catch at 30mins old ::) :o
You have to realise they are not the little sweet minature sheep they look but primitive tough proud sheep that are born survivors and think they are a lot bigger than they are ;D

Mine are friendly and I really like them as a breed of sheep as they are very low maintenance... I have never ever had a lame one! Do beware of making rams over friendly though as I have now evidence of at least 3 really nasty Ouessant rams all of which have been made pets of because the owners thought they were sweet.

Dogs are always a problem with any sheep
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2010, 10:35:15 am »
I have had no problems with foxes or badgers with my shetlands and larger sheep, even though I leave the lambs out from about two days old, and they also lamb outside. I have badger and fox tracks right across the field, and they use the area as a loo too... I think though they may take any weak (or already dead) animals as they are opportunits.

More worried about dogs, but so far been ok too.

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2010, 02:38:08 pm »
I had 4 Black Welsh mountain lambs taken by foxes in one year (one of them in broad daylight on the lawn in front of the house...I saw it and managed to get it back when it couldn't get it through the fence quick enough)I've also had goat kids taken.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS