Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lethargic hen.  (Read 2647 times)

Andt

• Joined Sep 2010
Lethargic hen.
« on: October 07, 2010, 10:24:10 pm »
I have a hen that is not as energetic as it was, she used to run to the pen gate when anyone went in and was always looking for food. Now she ambles around the pen, gently picking at little bits of food, she picks up corn and drops it again as if it was too hard to eat. She was eating fine up until a few days ago but now she is just drinking as far as I can see (crop is full of fluid and I've seen her drinking lots, don't think it's sour crop though)?
I gave her some pellets softened in probiotic yoghurt today and she was picking at it and eating little bits, she seems to have lost some weight and has lots of new feathers coming through under her existing ones (noticed this when looking for mites) although she has no bald patches, could this just be a "moult" and she'll be fine in a few weeks?

Would really like any help you could give as this a favourite hen of my little girls and really tame?

Thanks in advance.

Andt

• Joined Sep 2010
Re: Lethargic hen.
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 10:37:03 am »
Opened the coop today and she is not very happy at all, not interested in food at all.

I have left her in the coop today and given her some water mixed with some nettex minerals and sofetened pellets in the hope it will perk her up.

Power Poultry

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Kings Lynn Norfolk
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 10:42:41 am »
Could well be redmite run your hand in the shavings see if anything crawls onto your hand.

tonight when dark get a torch and look for little red insects there very small look round cracks and srew holes

is her comb pale?

How are her eyes and is her chest clear?

Andt

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 01:00:52 pm »
Yes her comb is pale.

I will dust her with mite powder just in case although I cannot see anything on her.

Her eyes and her chest seem clear. Her feathers seem quite dull though and she is quiet, she was always the most vocal when anyone approached the pen.

I can't get over how quickly she has gone off her food. She was eating really well only a few days ago, so well I thought she had an impacted crop.

Power Poultry

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Kings Lynn Norfolk
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2010, 01:12:33 pm »
Redmite can kill a bird in a few days they drink all there bloody.

If itis you need to treat the coop as the powder on the bird will not do the job.

you will not find any on the bird as they come out and night and feed on them and then go back into the cracks to sleep.

Poultryshield will kill them but has to but at leaste every 3 days to kill the new ones born there very much like kids head lice.

take all bedding out and give it a major clean then spray the poultryshield everwhere make sure itis soaked with it.

They like slats in the wood or any cracks or holes do under the coop as well and under the roof. they also love the perches.

If you can get hold of cresote the real stuff I think wilkes still sell it it will do the drop in one go and keep the coop clear for a good 12 months.

But I would tonight if you can check with the torch in the nest boxes is there like fag ash anywhere this is a good sign you have them.

Andt

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2010, 01:26:39 pm »
Thanks PP.

Will check when I clean them out later. I have some diatom powder which is supposed to be pretty good but will also get some spray to treat the coop if they are there.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS