Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: I have some more arrivals, shetlands is laurel ok for them to eat?  (Read 9338 times)

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: I have some more arrivals, shetlands is laurel ok for them to eat?
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2010, 08:45:27 am »
Gosh my Shetlands were only £25 each, thats six of them for every Ouessant. They should have gold nail varnish for £150 :-))

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
  • observe react administer enjoy !!
    • photos
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2010, 09:34:39 am »
I think depends where you are in the country, Ive just brought some shetlands at a bottom price of £40, normally £60 
Suffolk x romneys and Texel X with Romney Tup, Shetlands and Southdown Tup

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2010, 09:54:54 pm »
Good pedigree shetland ewes have been selling above 60 quid at the last few sales this year...

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2010, 09:56:54 pm »
I guess as mine arent registered they were cheap girlies cos of that. But I love them anyway and their sons taste very nice!

charlestcat

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2010, 03:25:59 pm »
Andy

The other thing that is deadly to sheep is YEW.  don't let them anywhere near it.  also occas they may try & eat acorns!, these aren't too good for them either.  White willow will give them the squits as well

CTC :sheep:

Power Poultry

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Kings Lynn Norfolk
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2010, 05:31:53 pm »
My goat that is just a pet eat a whole brush of the stuff 5 years ago and is still going strong and over 20. Was not happy she got in my garden mind you not many flowers left

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2010, 09:02:35 pm »
andy have you had sheep before. from south down through shetlands to the ouessant. you asking a lot if your new to sheep. the bog standard shetland has been selling in the 30 plus range. crosses at 45 plus. a very good year for prices. unlike a few years ago when the council had to buy and destroy thousands because there was no market. we were lucky we bought 7 coloured shetlands spotty ones for a 150. if you really want the small sheep your not going to get a lot of meat off them.

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
    • photos
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2010, 09:53:11 pm »
This is my first year with sheep, Ive had plenty of experiance with cattle but this year is a big learning curve for me so I am having to learn very quickly from others not only about the sheep but all the red tape, movement forms ect, so I may sound rediculious from time to time, but I would rather ask questions and told Im silly than not ask and not know. Ie the lage laurel tree in my garden if I didnt ask Id have some dead sheep.

I am very open and willing to learn and listen in a couple of years I will be more up to the mark with a few years experiance.

thats me !! ;D ;D

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2010, 07:54:13 am »
that how we all learn. having a helpful local farmer will be a good support. expect the odd dead one. we have only lost one adult sheep and that was on our second day. make sure that you now the risks in their fields. this fully grown cheviot drowned in a hole about 1.5ft square. it took two of us to pull it out. 

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
    • photos
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2010, 04:16:12 pm »
I have several local clients who are sheep farmers and of course the forum mob !! ;D

Elissian

• Joined Oct 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2010, 07:27:42 pm »
Photinia is lethal too, a friend of mine lent his ram to a friend . The field bordered a row of houses. Someone threw their hedge clippings into the field and the ram died. Postmortem showed photinia. Think i've spelt that wrong but you know what i mean

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
    • photos
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2010, 08:18:50 pm »
that is spelt correct, photinia, ive looked it up, looks like the rhody family>>>>

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS