Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Duck Eggs  (Read 2464 times)

novicesmallholder

• Joined Oct 2009
  • Worcestershire
Duck Eggs
« on: October 07, 2010, 04:28:56 pm »
Whats the longest duration recommend from laying to eating? I have read 10 days max from laying to eating, but cracked some open yesterday that were 4 weeks old and were fine.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Duck Eggs
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 07:19:47 pm »
Is it not about 3 weeks? Of course, there are always rumours about the supermarket eggs being about 4 months old by the time they get to the shelves, but a friend who used to work for the Egg marketing Board said that was rubbish. ::)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 09:15:51 am »
you can eat eggs until they float if you put them in a glass 0f water. if they are upright rather than lying flat make sure you cook them all the way through.  I would not sell any older than 10 days.
Ipersonally have eaten eggs quite a bit older than 3 weeks (tested with the method) and have never been ill. Duck or hen eggs,  same rules for me, although  we are supposed to cook duck eggs all the way through and also tell people who buy them. I tell but eat them whichever way I want them myself ;D :chook: :&> :&>.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 03:52:58 pm »
you can eat eggs until they float if you put them in a glass 0f water. if they are upright rather than lying flat make sure you cook them all the way through.  I would not sell any older than 10 days.
Ipersonally have eaten eggs quite a bit older than 3 weeks (tested with the method) and have never been ill. Duck or hen eggs,  same rules for me, although  we are supposed to cook duck eggs all the way through and also tell people who buy them. I tell but eat them whichever way I want them myself ;D :chook: :&> :&>.
I think the main reason for that, Kerstin, is that hens eggs have that protective film that keeps out bacteria while duck eggs don't so in theory could have been contaminated. So if your duck eggs are clean to start with you would be OK I think.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

bibs

• Joined Jul 2009
  • dorset
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2010, 06:00:45 pm »
Temperature comes into it aswell , I think. Store in a cool place. Don't wash them unless you are going to eat them straightaway cos the shells are porous. x

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS