Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Humanisation of chickens....why?  (Read 11700 times)

Kev

Humanisation of chickens....why?
« on: October 07, 2008, 03:21:48 pm »
I'm firstly going to apologise for the seemingly endless rant on chickens. BUT I cannot for the life of me understand the on-going humanisation of chickens. Back in the day (late 70's) when my gran kept over a dozen hens for eggs & food there wasn't any of this when like minded folks met up at markets etc. Yet with the advent of the idiotnet so many folk are wanting to ascribe human like tendancies to pea brained birds.

I am perhaps singularly opinioned on this site in my views but lets not forget what chickens were domesticated for and that is to provide both meat and eggs...both forms of protein. Entertainment is a bonus but the level of dedication to this makes me wonder on the average UK keeper of chickens sensibilities and actual humane ability to keep chickens...I stop now as I can already feel the arrows of discontent from those who know better yet ascribe human attributes to their chooks.

Tweedle

• Joined Jul 2008
  • GMT -5
  • Callender Farms
    • Callender Farms, New Hampshire
Re: Humanisation of chickens....why?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 05:53:30 pm »
Sometimes when i come home my chickens are wearing pants..... If thats not human like I don't know what is...  ;D :chook:
"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."  -Winston Churchill-

http://www.callenderfarm.com

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2008, 06:16:49 pm »
cluck cluck cluck :chook: :chook: :chook:
hehe

Francis Bacon

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Belabre, France
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2008, 08:03:00 pm »
Have you ever seen 'Chicken Run' Kev?  ;)
I Love mornings - I just wish they came later in the day!

sandy

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2008, 09:54:50 pm »
Hi Kev, I know they are in our food chain and that's great, to look after them well and enjoy looking after them, then, I think you are rewared twice, buying chilcen meat or eggs is just what it is, to supply us with fuel, to have some that actualy make us laugh as well is what I call marvalouse!!!!! WHen did you last laugh at a loaf of bread? My father in Law was a farmer and he loved his animals and I am sure people in the old sense of farming were not all that detatched all the time. I always was disapointed when my large rabbit died years ago that we had not another as I would have made a nice pair of slippers out of them and carried on enjoying them as well.
Sandy

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2008, 10:32:55 pm »
They are all part of the family - you bring them in, whether it be chook, duck, sheep, pig. It is the quality of life that you share with your animals that improves your own quality of life.

To raise them, understand them, laugh and cry at them, defines you and your relationship with these animals.  It gives you that sense of respect at the end if you are going to eat them, and you enjoy them all the more,  or it just improves the quality of your life with them in it whether you don't eat them or not.

As Donna says Kev - you really should watch 'Chicken Run' - and watch a chicken run,  it is hilarious!

Kate  :chook: :chook: :chook: :chook: :chook: :chook: :chook: :chook: :chook: :chook:
Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

Kev

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2008, 11:20:43 am »
Oh dear, my opinions have again raised some fluffed feathers.

Chicken Run = rubbish film

Chicken Run Watching = been there done that, funny for a bit then ohh so predictable.

I tend to laugh at a loaf of bread whenever my baking skills render it more akin to a flat bread than a nice fluffy white loaf.

I have chickens, pigs, sheep, geese, dogs & cats but the sentimentality displayed here is if anything, slightly worrying.

I think that now is the time for me to take myself away from this forum as it is all a bit too "twee" and "tick box animal husbandry" by those who....ach why bother. Enjoy your humanisation of yer animals just don't take it too far.

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2008, 01:13:25 pm »
I think perhaps you are a little offensive Kev.  There really is nothing wrong with enjoying a relationship with your animals, no matter how personal, no matter how dotty it may seem to someone like you.  We have the wackiest relationship with some of our animals, but at the end of the day they feed us and make us a living.  Who suffers because of it - no one, not us not them.  Who does it hurt - no-one.  Who does it annoy - you apparently.

We all enjoy our animals in different ways.  None of us know you or your animals so I would not dream of judging you.  We are not here to be judged also.  I think in turn we have all introduced our animals to the members of this forum in one way or another, and we  all enjoy that.  Life does not have to be oh so serious, and because - as you put it - we humanise animals - well it seems to suit a lot of us here, and we can still remain proffessional as well.

Have a great day, and love to your animals.

Kate  :pig: :chook: :dog: :goat: :horse: :pug: :turkey: :sheep: :cat: ducks and geese
« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 01:15:06 pm by pigsatlesrues »
Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

farmerswag

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Aberdeen Shire
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2008, 01:31:08 pm »
I think that people can humanize their animals too much, it is especially apparent in horses where people don't act in the animals best interests.  However I like going out, talking to and spending time with all my various animals and I guess I feel a bit sad when they go of to market. 

We have full working farm of over 500 head of cattle which the OH has had all his life and I think I am less involved with them, def not sad when they go away or would be down all the time.

As long as the animals best interests is always the prime concern and we do not put human emotions on them which are inappropriate and let what makes us feel better infulence the way we treat them then if people want to talk to, spend time with and cuddle then go ahead, I know I do.

Away to go and chase some sheep, I can guarantee to be hating them and threating to put them into the freezer with wool on in few hours.

Chasing sheep - keeps you young

jacyjones

• Joined Jun 2008
  • Aberystwyth, Mid Wales
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2008, 03:41:00 pm »
I think that people can humanize their animals too much, it is especially apparent in horses where people don't act in the animals best interests.  However I like going out, talking to and spending time with all my various animals and I guess I feel a bit sad when they go of to market. 

We have full working farm of over 500 head of cattle which the OH has had all his life and I think I am less involved with them, def not sad when they go away or would be down all the time.

As long as the animals best interests is always the prime concern and we do not put human emotions on them which are inappropriate and let what makes us feel better infulence the way we treat them then if people want to talk to, spend time with and cuddle then go ahead, I know I do.

Away to go and chase some sheep, I can guarantee to be hating them and threating to put them into the freezer with wool on in few hours.

I agree entirely and really, each to his own. if we all live as we feel happy living and we all care for the welfare of all our animals then that has to be the right thing. If that seems sentimental then fine. I try very hard always to regard my animals as animals but they are friends too - certainly my horse and dogs are. My chickens and ducks are here to provide eggs but I enjoy watching them pecking and stratching about - their presence adds to my existence. I find watching them a great way to relax on a summer evening.  Maybe you would be better on another forum, Kev, but I would avoid some of the American ones as chicken nappies might just push you over the edge - we might even look more attractive in comparison!
Husband, 2 teenage daughters, 1 horse, 2 Springers, 2 White khaki campbells, 5 black rocks, 1 warren and 2 pet rats :)

sandy

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2008, 05:00:13 pm »
  ;)Know what Kev is getting at but it is the way we make sense of things, we only can think like a human so we use that as a base, I certainly know my dog's think differently to me, and, I hate to admit this one, but sometimes I put human feelings onto my car's, my small runabout leaks and when I take my partner out and he's grumpy, the roof drops a big wet patch onto his jeans/trousers and when we arrive, he alway's look's like he has had an accident, not a crash, that's my car getting him back for me, I get out dry. Maybe I should join the car forum, my good old 1971 VW Camper is a shire horse of a car, plods along stedily and has not let me down yet....other campers have but I did away with them. ::)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2008, 10:57:30 pm »
Perhaps we should just let Kev go, :chook: he is obviously unhappy with us.  No-one likes to feel bullied and pressurised, and perhaps he feels we are forcing him to think chickens are human. ;)  Chicken Run portrayed a number of different emotions, and to be honest it made me do a lot of serious thinking.
Annie
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Francis Bacon

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Belabre, France
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2008, 11:32:11 am »
Oh Dear Kev, you really are quite miserable, perhaps you are better off on another forum  ;)

BYE  ;D

I Love mornings - I just wish they came later in the day!

carole

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2008, 05:14:33 pm »
Bye bye Kev- missed No not at all

Goodluck the other infortunate forum

Carole
Cluck cluck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

garden cottage

• Joined Sep 2008
  • forest of dean
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2008, 10:07:44 pm »
nice one kate completely agree with you neil

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS