Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lethargic Duckling  (Read 4034 times)

Pandy

• Joined Oct 2008
Lethargic Duckling
« on: October 06, 2008, 01:06:20 pm »
Hello everybody,

We are new to the forum and wondered if anybody can help us with a problem.

Our Welsh Harlequine duck mated with a male mallard and two of the eggs hatched two weeks ago. All was fine until the day before yesterday when we noticed that one of the ducklings looked a bit more sleepy than the other one, it was also a bit smaller. When they were let out today both the ducklings fed very well on the crumb we are giving them but when they went into the duck pond it was very obvious that the smaller one was not moving around or searcing for pond food as it has been (like it's sibling), there is undoubtly something amiss but we are at a loss as to what we can do. Can anybody help please?

Pandy

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
Re: Lethargic Duckling
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008, 10:27:25 am »
I would suggest it is cold. There is a similar thread going on about chicks.  The birds seems to be late brooding this year, at least here in France they are.  The chicks get cold and then larthargic, and the consequence is that they eat less, then none, and wont survive.  Bring them inside first of all.  Have a lamp going if you can.  No drafts plenty of bedding.  It wouldn't matter to take the ducklingS away from the parents altogether.  They parents will be fine outside, infact will hate being in probably and the little ones will cope much better inside.  Think of them as chicks from an incubator.  I raise mine in the bathroom sometimes - it is lovely and warm in there and no need for a lamp.

Good luck anyway.

Kate  :pig:
Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS