Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Help ! no grass - how big a problem ??  (Read 4007 times)

countrygirlatheart

• Joined Apr 2008
Help ! no grass - how big a problem ??
« on: October 09, 2008, 08:26:56 pm »
Having posted a previous message about the possibility of having to put my sheep onto a field of long heavy grass (uncut silage due to prolonged wet weather) ........  following a window of dry weather (one week in about 12 wet ones!) .... farmer came and cut and took away silage and now I have the extreme opposite - a very bare field.  It was only cut two weeks ago and its rained almost every day since.  Some grass has come through but because it's not a pasture field as such there is quite a bit of bare ground peppered throughout it and (in common with most people probably) it is very wet with some areas with water lying on top of the ground.  At this time of year the regrowth will obviously be limited.    My recently tupped girls are due back in a week or so - help - should I look for alternative pasture or are they going to be ok with me making sure they always have access to hay/concentrates ??  To what extent will wet ground be a problem. Normally at this time of year grass would be well re-established but this year the weather has been the pits !   Obviously want to do the best for my new sheep.   Any advice/comments welcome.

garden cottage

• Joined Sep 2008
  • forest of dean
Re: Help ! no grass - how big a problem ??
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2008, 09:42:17 pm »
Hi, is there any constantly boggy areas in the field? are there any rushes growing or streams on the edge if so you may have problems with liver fluke. if its just standing water from rain a couple of dry days it should drain away,dont think it will be a problem if they have hay and concentrate. keep an eye on feet if its very wet underfoot. best of luck neil

countrygirlatheart

• Joined Apr 2008
Re: Help ! no grass - how big a problem ??
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2008, 06:32:02 pm »
Hi Neil

Thanks for your comments.  No rushes or boggy bits so hopefully no fluke but ground is very 'soft'.  Will sort out some hay and feed and fingers crossed all will be ok.  If not watch out for another post about soggy feet !!!

thanks again

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS