Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: yet another slug remedy  (Read 5388 times)

garden cottage

• Joined Sep 2008
  • forest of dean
yet another slug remedy
« on: October 05, 2008, 09:22:54 pm »
browsing through octobers smallholder magazine,article on slugs and mice very interesting last section of slugs---use a copper strand of wire attached to pots in greenhouse and on staging etc the slugs will not cross it and should turn back, i feel an experiment coming on!

garden cottage

• Joined Sep 2008
  • forest of dean
Re: yet another slug remedy
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 10:04:57 pm »
experiment was total failure, both slugs crossed the wire twice did manage to make them turn with coffee granules though. im going to roll up the smallholder magazine and kill them all with that.  neil

Kev

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2008, 09:11:53 am »
I've had limited success using thicker copper core stripped from larger cables like those to supply 'leccy to cookers etc. Even better is skip hunting for wire thrown out during construction projects as lots of this is pretty thick. It is a pain to strip the outer plastic sheath off but the resulting thick copper core has worked fairly well, & its free rather than silly money for copper collars from rip off garden sites!

Very useful when you have the number and size of raised beds I do - it also gives the whole plot a kinda cheap "bladerunner-esk" appearance with all the copper wire stapled around the beds!

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2008, 06:05:05 pm »
hiya,
When using copper band you need to make sure the band is very wide as the slug can arch their back to 'tip toe' over the bands
Slugs are very clever as they can climb up near by object and jump off them to land on your well secured plants lol
Linz

garden cottage

• Joined Sep 2008
  • forest of dean
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2008, 10:14:07 pm »
lovin that linz i think youve got either sas slugs or ninja ones.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2008, 05:26:05 pm »
We have ducks, no slugs.  Honestly

Guy

• Joined Feb 2008
  • East Devon
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2009, 06:34:15 pm »
lovin that linz i think youve got either sas slugs or ninja ones.
i have visions of them collecting small twigs and pole vaulting over!!! :D
relax and enjoy life - let others do the worrying

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS