Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: This is a bit of a worry....  (Read 5000 times)

mccardey

• Joined Sep 2008
This is a bit of a worry....
« on: October 05, 2008, 02:21:11 am »
This morning my two chickens looked a bit dishevilled and cross - and when I went to check for eggs there was one empty soft flat eggshell on the ground and nothing else.

What would this be? Rats? Snakes? What should I do about it?

Help!!!

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
Re: This is a bit of a worry....
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008, 10:28:37 am »
I have already put an answer on this question.  It has been taken off. Was there a problem admin?

Kate  :pig:
Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

mccardey

• Joined Sep 2008
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2008, 02:52:54 pm »
I really am quite concerned about it.......  We're assuming rats and thought we had ratproofed that cage, but I found the remains of another egg today and I'm worried in case its something to do with the hen not laying properly (though my first instinct is still rats or snakes....)

I'm keeping as close an eye as I can to be quick to empty the nest box.

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • The Accidental Smallholder
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2008, 10:41:00 pm »
I have already put an answer on this question.  It has been taken off. Was there a problem admin?

Hi Kate

No posts have been deleted deliberately. It's possible there was a technical glitch that meant either your post didn't save correctly, but I can't see anything in the database that would explain it.

Sorry it's been lost, just to let you know we never moderate without letting the poster know why.

Dan

witsinfr

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Vienne, Poitou-Charente, France
  • Vienne, France previously all over the Middle East
    • Les Froggitts
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2008, 11:25:20 am »
Hi Kate

No posts have been deleted deliberately. It's possible there was a technical glitch that meant either your post didn't save correctly, but I can't see anything in the database that would explain it.

Sorry it's been lost, just to let you know we never moderate without letting the poster know why.

Dan

Thought that I would like to compliment TAS admin on that point, I wish that all forums (or is it fora?) would be as enlightened...

garden cottage

• Joined Sep 2008
  • forest of dean
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2008, 07:48:58 pm »
are the eggshells forming correctly? it may be a diet problem, weve had soft squidgey ones in the past and some shells crush as the chicken sits on them so it would appear they are being eaten. just a thought neil

mccardey

• Joined Sep 2008
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2008, 09:40:14 pm »
Thanks Neil - I'll bear that in mind. We've blocked up various holes which might have provided ingress for varmints, and the problem seems to be over now...

phew!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS