Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How long?  (Read 3753 times)

Francis Bacon

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Belabre, France
How long?
« on: October 02, 2008, 04:43:45 pm »
We have a broody rhode Island sitting on 6 Gold Brahma eggs due to hatch today & we heard them cheaping! How long should it take for the chicks to emerge from the eggs? They have already started but it has been a couple of hours & the hole is still the same size. This is our first time, so we don't know how long it should take & if/when we should intervene.
Thanks
Donna  ;D
I Love mornings - I just wish they came later in the day!

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
Re: How long?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008, 10:43:39 pm »
It could be 24 hours.  It gets really exciting doesn't it, but then the wait is killing!

They will emerge altogether, it is amazing how they know. The first hatchling will wait until the last one is ready to say hi!

Be very careful at the moment - it is too cold for chicks at the  moment.  Best to keep them in a barn so they are out of the elements.

Our chooks went broody very late this year, infact one has just gone broody now but I cannot leave her with any eggs, cruel as it sounds - they just wouldn't make it now.  I have two clutches which are two weeks apart. The first hatchlings are coping fine, because they have size on their side and they had all the lovely warm weather.  The second clutch have been hit and miss. One died one night, three are doing find and I have one naked neck chick which just cannot cope outside.  I bring it in to warm it up and it gets all lively - return to mum - within an hour it is all feeble again. It is about a third smaller than the other chicks.  After three days of trying, I have finally decided to keep it in and hand rear it in the bathroom. It is right next to the fire at the moment, and will have to stay there until it puts on a bit of weight and size.

Good luck with yours anyway, and be patient!

Kate  :chook:

Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

Francis Bacon

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Belabre, France
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2008, 02:43:20 pm »
Thanks Kate,  I was worried in case they got stuck! But we left them to it last night & this morning we checked on them, Instantly we saw 2 lying lifeless on the coop floor & 1 was very warm & healthy under mum.  It was too late for one of the chicks but we immediately took the little one inside & Matt held it in his hands above the log burner & rubbed him gently.  After about 20 or so minutes, he started to move and by lunchtime he was so chirpy & full of life that we put him back under mum and discovered another one had hatched!  We have checked on them every hour since to make sure that mum is keeping them nice & warm, she's doing well - Bless her. 

Everyone has been saying how their hens were broody late this year & now I see why it's not such a good thing & probably better to take the eggs away as you have done Kate. We've also taken your advice & will only let them venture out in the barn in their run it has turned quite cold over the last few days. 

They are so tiny & amazing, it brings a lump to your throat  :chook: :chook: :chook:
Thanks
Donna

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2008, 09:39:04 am »
One thing maybe worth trying with a chick that gets chilled, is use the hairdryer on it. We always used to do that if they got wet or too chilled by accident, it works great because of the warm air blowing at them. If you hold the chick in your hand whilst you're hairdrying it, then you can tell if the air is too hot or not by the temperature on your own hand.

Congrats on the babies Donna, I hope they do well. 

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2008, 10:55:35 am »
My litle one unfortunately died last eveing.  I just couldn't make it eat. It was drinking, but with no food it wasn't looking good. 

I have never used the hairdrier - good tip.  I have reared many babies in the bathroom, most successfully.  There is an electric heater which I keep on all the time, so it is always warm in there. The box was right in line with the heat coming out, so the cardboard was constantly warm.
It really is the wrong time to be born, it is just too cold now for them really. 

My latest broody is really getting the hump with me at the moment, taking away the eggs, so hopefully she will give up today.  My hand wont take her pecking!

Kate  :chook:
Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

Francis Bacon

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Belabre, France
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2008, 01:45:38 pm »
That's a great tip - Thank you very much.

Last night we had a frost which took us by surprise, so we checked on them early this morning & all was fine, we were so relieved but by lunchtime the poorly one was lifeless again on the coop floor (hadn't read your tip then) so again we turned the log burner up & rubbed & rubbed but she wouldn't open her eyes, we fed her some water & very slowly she has come back to life.  This time we are taking no chances we will hand rear her in the mobile home, only time will tell. 

Sorry to hear about your little one Kate, sounds like you done all you could  :'(

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS