Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Shelf life?  (Read 3522 times)

sandy

Shelf life?
« on: September 29, 2008, 04:27:41 pm »
Now I actualy get eggs daily and we have slowed down in our Bed and Breakfast, how long can I keep eggs safetly for and is it best to keep them in the cool like the garage or in a fridge? Thanks, I may have to make cakes....

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Shelf life?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 10:10:35 pm »
Rosemary is best for this I reckon, but I believe 3 weeks is maximum storage time, and best not in fridge as they absorb other smells.  I'm not getting ANY eggs yet! 10 hens, 4 ducks and not a sausage - that's what they'll be if they don't get a move on ;)
Annie
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

rorsa

• Joined Mar 2008
  • Rainford, Merseyside
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 09:00:19 am »
If you separate the whites and the yolks you can freeze them.

sandy

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 09:11:18 am »
Thanks for that, I didn't know you could freeze raw eggs, I may do that as they would be good for baking and scrambled eggs.
Sandy

Tweedle

• Joined Jul 2008
  • GMT -5
  • Callender Farms
    • Callender Farms, New Hampshire
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 05:24:35 pm »
They are great in the freezer if you put them in ice cube trays 1 egg per tray the when you are baking you can just pop one out and off you go! You can just scramble them and dump them into the trays. Then when they are frozen just bag them up. 
"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."  -Winston Churchill-

http://www.callenderfarm.com

garden cottage

• Joined Sep 2008
  • forest of dean
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 11:45:24 pm »
boil em and pickle! , love omelettes

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS