Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Wizard's recipes - your favourites please - to produce a booklet for charity  (Read 16576 times)

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
Very sadly, Wizard has passed away, but he has left us a legacy of some fantastic recipes.

One of the last 'discussions' I had with George was about collating all his lovely old fashioned recipes and producing them into a booklet for charity. he wanted 'his half' to go the Macmillan Nurses

Hello Sharon feel free I like to share my ideas and bygone recipes etc;If you think I may have one ask I will help where I can but I think I am causing unrest with some by writing about bacon and ham and my opinion of what it should be like but I have always thought and still do what I do is for me and if you don't like it don't do it.You Sharon as the Queen's we.I can only relate to things I have done been told and tried.Tom Bakers Rhubarb wine for instance it really is awful but it can make you have a terrible head next day.Brother and I once liberated a bottle and six of us drank it all.It was one of those Bulmers cider bottles with a screw in plug stopper with a red rubber ring round it Bad head phew you have not lived if you haven't tried some. If you do I have enough money for our needs so donate my share to Mc Millan Nurses will you;D :farmer: :wave:

If you have tried any of Wizards recipes, please copy and paste them here on this thread with any comments about them, and I'll put a little booklet together, when it's done, i'll look at the best way of selling them with ALL proceeds going to George's charity.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 09:42:49 pm by Sharondp »

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Wizard's recipes - your favourites please
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 05:08:49 pm »
Sharon, you can put it on here - put the finished e-file on say photobucket or something similar with a link to here, along with a link to the Macmillan Nurses donations website. https://secure.macmillan.org.uk/donateonline/donations.aspx?cde=default

I've just printed off the rhubarb wine recipe, but it will be a while before I can say anything about it, so suffice to say it will be fun making it and I'll remember George when I drink it!

2lbs rhubarb well chopped up and crushed.
2lbs sugar
1/2lb sultanas chopped
1/2 pint strong tea
Yeast and a teaspoon of nutrient
1 campden tablet
and a gallon of cooled boiled water

Leave the pulp in the pail and add the sultanas and the campden tablet which you have crushed and added a eggcup full of warmwater to dissolve it  and add it to the pulp.Boil the sugar in a quart of water for 2 minutes and add it to the pulp when it has cooled to blood heat add the tea yeast and nutrient cover with a wet tea towel and allow to ferment for 3 days stirring every day night and morning Strain through a double layer of muslin into a clean pail and wring out to get all the juice Coverand leave over night next day syphon off into a sterile demijohn leaving behind all the settled debris.top up to the base of the neck with cooled boiled water fit an airlock and leave to ferment right out.Bottle in sterile bottles and cork Leave in a dark place until Xmas.
to make a medium sweet rhubarb wine use 21/2 lbs of rhubarb and 1lb of chopped raisins 21/2lbs of sugar and use the above method This will produce a very nice medium sweet wine fit for any one.You must let it ferment right out though.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 05:14:07 pm by doganjo »
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 05:13:58 pm »
Thanks Annie - I was just about to search for that!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 05:15:28 pm »
I've just donated through this link. For you, George Wizard Baker! x
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 05:37:01 pm »
not tried this yet but guess what I'll be doing tomorrow?!  Going to miss you George xxx  :bouquet:

I have been asked Wots Plum Bread like.Well here is two different recipes a deluxe? one and a cheap one.NO they are not really anything to do with plums like Victoria's or the Greengages so
 1lb strong white bread flour (use whole meal if you like)
 4 oz currants
 2 oz sultanas
 2 oz raisins
 2 oz candid peel (mixed is best)
 8 oz chopped up prunes
 4 fl/oz warm milk
 4 oz melted butter
 4 Tbl/spn; sugar
 2 sachets easy dried yeast ( Allinsons bread yeast)
 2 eggs lightly beaten
 1 tspn ground cinnamon
 1 t/spn ground all spice
 1 good pinch of salt
 Method
Mix milk,sugar,butter,yeast and spices well together.Mix the flour and salt make a well and pour in the liquid mix beating to form a nice soft pliable dough.Turn out onto a floured surface and kneed until its nice and elastic.Place it in a greased bowl and cover allow to stand in a warm place until it has doubled in size,Knock it back and add the dried fruit make sure its evenly distributed throughout Cut the dough in half making 2 equal bits Place into 2 1lb loaf tins and cover and allow to rise again when double the size Place in a preheated oven 375F or Gas 5 on a preheated baking sheet(this is important) and bake 40/50 minutes Remove the loaves from the tins and place on the hot baking sheet return to the oven 5 - 10 minutes or until when the bottom is tapped they sound hollow Let them cool on a rack.

A different version of plum bread
 2lbs mixed dried fruit
 2 cups brown sugar
 2 cups cold tea
 4 cups Self Raisin Flour
 3 eggs
Soak the dried fruit and brown sugar in a basin overnight with the tea.Next day mix in the 4 cups of flour and the beaten eggs.Put the mix into 2 floured and greased loaf tins Bake at Gas 2 or 300f for 2hrs or so Leave to cool in the tins Try them with butter 
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
I made mincemeat for the first time last year, thanks to Wizard (Georgee) here it is, and it is very good.
Hello dixie

Christmas Mincemeat
By: Georgee
Prep time: 1/2 hour to an hour
Cook Time: none at stage 1
Servings: how longs a bit of string

x Send to a Friend
Email:
Submit Georgee
Sep 03, 2009
at 06:32 AM This has a totally different taste when cooked compared to the usual store bought even if you get the so called Luxury Label
Ingredients
1 lb Dried apricots 1lb Dates
1 lb Currants 1 lb suet (Atora ?)
1 lb Apples 1 lb Raisins
1LB Brown Sugar 2 ozs Flaked almonds
1/2 oz Grated nutmeg The rind and juice of a large lemon
Directions
Soak the apricots in VERY little water over night .( You can soak them in a drop of brandy if you like)In the morning chop them up into nice small bits Stone the dates Peel and core the apples and chop up Place all in a bowl and add the nutmeg and lemon rind (jest) none of the white pith.Mix well then add the lemon juice.Use as you would Golly sort.Georgee makes some every year,

Olly398

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Herts
    • Brixton's Bounty
I didn't post much here but I read a lot. I loved Wizard's writings! This is not really a recipe, but is my favourite post by Wiz. It took me a long time to find because he wrote so prolifically and there are many other excellent pig related recipes and things he gave us. RIP Wizard and thanks for sharing.  :wave:

The countrymans way of keeping and killing his pig in the 1940's
 :pig:When the time was right the pigsty was cleaned out and brushed and scrubbed with a strong solution of Jeyes Fluid in water mixture and left to dry out.Next weekend a bottle of straw was brought over from the yard and a bedding made for the weaners when they came.Pigs were always kept in pairs for they do better than on their own.Farm men worked until 12.30 pm on Satdi's so dinner was taken and about 2 ish Albert arrived on his postmans bike with a wiggling Hessian sack in the cattier.Albert's coming up the drive Dad we shouted and rushed off round the pigsty.Albert lifted the sack out and went in the sty Dad came up "Wot eh thya like Alb" he asked " Good un's this time Bill"he said undoing the band and shaking out two smashing little pigs."What do you think Bill?" "Grand said Dad git em a bit o meal George and some watter" The pigs frolic ed and explored and ate up some of the meal and I went in the garden and pulled up some of the cabbage stumps and threw in as well.They loved attacking the mucky end and chewing the roots Albert told me there might be worms and grubs in so they would eat that end first.At 5.30 they were fed properly on barley meal mixed with water somewhat like gruel and the house scraps.On Sunday we rushed round to see them and they came to the half door grunting for breakfast.They soon became used to this and  carried on alarming if food was late.A piece of coal was placed in the trough and they used to bite on it they seemed to treat it like a goodie.Time passes and it was time to lift and pie the farm potato's.All village children were allowed two weeks holiday to help with the potato harvest.On Saturday all the boys and girls in the village turned up and one of the men would come with the old cart horse and a duck foot harrow and drag every where the potato's had been all the children collected as many as they could and Albert and Percy would put them in bags.At the end of the day the bags were shared out amongst the men for pig food.Now this us lads enjoyed at the bottom of the garden was an old copper built up on a honeycomb brick structure and the copper lowered into the middle.The copper was filled with water and potato's and a fire light under so it made the water boil it was covered over with some boards and wet sacks to help keep the heat in The fire was kept going for a good half hour the allowed to die.After tea we would sneak down the garden raise the sacking and a board and get some out my word they were tasty.I still have a dirty old pan which we sometimes fill with water and washed potato's and boil skins on then sluff off the skins and eat them with butter as part of a meal.Very good with a slice of cold roast beef and pickle.The taste is entirely different from mash.These potato's were scooped out with some of the water mashed and served with the barley meal as part of the diet for the pigs.Now and again Dad would stir in a Karswood Pig Powder as far as I can recall it smelt just like an Indian Take away."It keeps em rate and regler boy" he used to say.
By now of course it was time to open the tattie pie.The riddle was brought up and positioned The Lister engine was filled with petrol and water al ready to start riddling in the morning.All the tatties were scooped up onto the riddle and the ware passed on to bags at the far end all the small ones dropped through onto a lower deck that put them out to the side,where once again they were bagged and along with the damaged one shared out for the pigs
The time now fast approaches and Uncle Bill would say "Whats your pig like Bill" to which Dad would reply not far off I reckon Whats yours like Percy "Could do wi anuther week or more I reckon" So of they would go round Percy's I reckon you could be rate mate Bill would say.Now shall I ev a wod wi the mester and book Slip for a week Thursday?Aye I reckon so that ud be about rate" and off they would go Arrangements were made for the appointed time.There was much to do the treacle poles got out and scrubbed the pulley wheel and rope washed and cleaned the kratch scrubbed also the wheel barrow and the salting tub all must be made clean for Thursday. So there you go weaners to thirtyseven score and ready for the knife.
So Wednesday after tea every thing was got ready kindling for the copper The copper filled with water.A bucket of cold water stood by to top up with.every things ready.
The Killing of the pigs
Its Thursday and Dad had lit the fire under Mothers wash copper and the water is boiling away nicely and Dad tops it up from the spare bucket stood by "George fill the bucket from the pump agen and bring it back here" Slips coming Dad and Slip would arrive "Mornin you Bills he'd say ayure ready"As ever we will be Slip.Dad had fastened a tray to the passage wall at the far end and had a back board to follow her up with when she got to the far end Slip lent over placed the captive bolt gun on her forehead Bang she would drop to her knees the tray would be pushed aside and the pig lifted onto the krarch and carried out into the yard.A white enamel pail was placed to catch the blood and her throat cut.Aunt Ada always had the blood to make black puddings with.While she bled the chains were laid in the salting trough and Dad would throw a bucket of cold water into the copper to sleck the boiling water get two buckets out and hurry to the pig which had now been lifted into the tub the boiling water poured over and two more fetched.Bring another bucket Percy Slip would shout and the chain would begin.The chain was pulled up from one side as high as one could pull and then back a sort of see saw action the chain being pulled slightly sideways until it reached the far end then pulled back several times.The pig was then placed on the kratch and carried to the treacle poles hamstrung and an heel tree put through then the carcass was lifted  and hung vertical the pig was then scraped clean of whiskers Slip doing the finer points with a very sharp knife he kept for the job Ev yer got that barra ready George if so bring it ere.He would place the barrow in under the pigs head and cut her down the middle of her belly and let the guts drop into the barrow.He then cut the pipes at the head end and pulled the intestines into the barrow then he cut the pipes at the tail end being carefull not to loose any of the contents amongst the guts,The barrow was then wheeled out of the way.The "Pluck" was removed and put aside and the whole site tided up.The pig was left to set until Saturday.Tharmes were removed and us lads set to cleaning them "and do it properly or you will be eating pig s**t in your sausage"We were very carefull doing this job.Meanwhile mother would make up some frys and Us lads were told where to deliver them and "Don't let her wesh the plate for the pig weint keep proper if she does!"And so to bed
Saturday came and every thing was ready by 8 O'clock and no Slip it was 8.30 turned when he arrived"Was she laid on yer shot flap Slip?"Much chortling ensued."Niver mind about that he saideve yer got ivery thing ready?"Aye beet pulp bags weshed and opened out enamel pails for the bits and a bucket of hot water to wesh yer hands oat else"" I went out last nite and had a skin full so knap yer eyes bloody quietly especially if I have me big knife in me hand".At that time of day in Lincolnshire and North Nottinghamshire pigs were chained.(A quick explanation today pigs are cut down the center of the spine giving two pieces Chinning the ribs are cut close to the backbone each side and that give 3 pieces)So Slip cut off the head and Percy places it on a sack Slip then cuts through the meat on the back of the pig then saws through all the bones The two Bills get hold of the cut off pig and allows Percy to lower the carcass to the kratch undoes the hamstrung leg and lays the meat on a bag.The heeltree was removed from the other piece of the pig and the pulley hook inserted and the pig hauled up .Slip then cut the other side back meat and sew through the bones Dad would hold the chine (spine) so it didn't drop on the dirty floor and place it on a bag,The treacle poles were moved and one half of the pig place on the kratch and butchered into a nice ham a flitch and a hand These were trimmed into nice pieces and the trimmings saved for sausage and pork pie etc; The same was done to the other side so we had two nice hams two flitches from which a couple of pork roasting joints could be cut(Don't forget no deep freeze)The chine could then be cut into useable pieces a short one at the head end then where the front legs joined this was called the christening chine and the rest  up to the tail.The chains had been remove from the tub and the tub placed upon the kratch The hams were done first and down the main vein down the leg salt petre was pushed a small amount of salt petre was mixed with the salt and well rubbed into the meat.This procedure was done to all the meat and left covered in salt Next day the salt was removed and the meat turned and re rubbed and the salt replaced over This would be done for a fortnight When the meat would be remove from the salting tub brushed clean and put into bacon bags and hung until you were ready to use it when Dad would lift it down and cut a lump off putting it in water over night to remove much of the salt then Mother would cook it.So there you go killing and putting away your pig 60 years ago.If you want to know what happened to the rest of the pig look in recipes Bye George :farmer: :yum:
also blogging at...

Brixton's Bounty

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
 :pig: Thank you for finding that Ollie.  I hadn't seen it before.  Sharondp - could bits like this be included in George's book?  It adds such a flavour of what he was all about, more than just the bald recipes.  It's long but just the sort of thing people love to read.  In fact I can see a bigger book one day all about the man taken from his writings :)..........  I see why he was called Wizard
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

knightquest

• Joined May 2010
  • Birmingham
    • Knight Pet Supplies
Again, not a recipe but a definitive answer. I asked what was eating my lettuce and later on, posted a picture.

George came back with the correct answer (of course) and he said.

Ian - Pigeons.

Short and to the point. I loved that post  :)

Ian
Ian (me), Diane (my wife) and 4 dogs. Ollie (Lab mix) , Quest (Malamute), Gazer and Boris (Leonbergers)

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
Of course - please share all your anecdotes, quotes etc.
I'm wondering if I need to think a little bigger than microsoft publisher now!

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
Am sure it'll be fine :)

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
I've had a lovely email from Dave, Wizards son, with his full support for the project. If anyone would like to help in anyway, please let me know - I'm happy to collate stuff, but if anybody is good with computer artwork etc, let me know.

This is a lovely way to remember George. I shall be making his courgette cake (adapted from Nigel Slater) tomorrow and raising a slice to george!

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
If the booklet gets too big why not try a v-book. I work for Microsoft and publisher should be able to handle it no problem

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
Would be interested in a copy :)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
CAn you do an e-copy Sharon?  you could convert it to a pdf file to email out.  I've donated to the Macmillan Nurses in memory of Wiz, so looking forward to seeing the book.

Sorry - that's the same a a V (virtual) book, isn't it?  :-* ::)  *smacks own fingers and tells me to pay attention* ;)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS