Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Log Splitters  (Read 6210 times)

Fergie

• Joined Oct 2009
Log Splitters
« on: July 27, 2010, 01:37:28 pm »
Hi John,

very interesting to hear that you have a hydraulic log splitter on your Ferguson, I have toyed with one myself but I have not yet found one that has a reasonable price tag, my reason for considering one is that I have about 20 massive pine trees around my property, about 10 of which are massive and on the west side blocking the warm winds, if I can get to cutting them down I will think very seriously about one, I think at 67 I may bow out with the axes on all that lot, what make is yours, and was it very reasonable in price, I have considered fabricating one myself but the parts separate are more expensive, I have fabricated other tools for the ferguson like a crane off the hydraulics and a towing frame to tow a trailer with a ball hitch and they worked out at a very good price, but a log splitter I will have to buy sadly, good health to all dodger.

Hi Dodger,

the hydraulic splitter is mounted on my Industrial Ferguson, which is an industrial version of the 35X.  It has a hydraulic changeover valve for external tools & a constant pumping setting for the pump.  It works well.  My Ferguson TEF has more basic hydraulics and cannot separate the hydraulic feed from the lift arms, so they shoot up when pressure is applied.  I suppose you could constrain the arms, but I haven't bothered since I have a better solution.  You'd also need a return fitting attached, but that could be fabricated.  The TEF pulls the log trailer instead.

The splitter cost about £450 and came from Devon I think.  It works well.  If you're interested I can get the contact phone number from the label on the side.  I'm eight years younger than you but still wouldn't contemplate spitting large quantities of logs with an axe!

Cheers,

John

old geezer

• Joined Aug 2008
Re: Log Splitters
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 12:36:33 pm »
Hi John,

Many thanks for that, I think I know the firm you mean, it looks quite a good bit of kit, it may be the firm I found on E.Bay,  but I would be interested in knowing the name of the firm you used just in case it is another firm, as I am in Yeovil  in Somerset I could collect either one and save on carriage, good health to all, Bernie.

Fergie

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 01:28:27 pm »
Hi Bernie,

see attached photographs.  This splitter works well, and is well matched to the maximum pressure of the Ferguson (ie it just creaks a bit under maximum load but doesn't bend!).  Last year I did have to replace the hydraulic pump assembly on the tractor since after 45 years or so it was losing pressure - it's fine now.

I've used the splitter on more modern tractors, but while it moves faster (greater flowrate) the maximum pressure is no greater, in fact I think it is limited at a lower pressure on modern tractors.  I'm quite happy with the setup, and it stays attached to the industrial Ferguson virtually full time, ready for use.

John

Fergie

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 01:32:42 pm »
PS, just looking at the pictures reminds me of the small white bucket below - there is a slight oil leak from the coupling, so I keep a brush in the collecting bucket to lubricate the shaft when there is enough to use!

John

ser3dan

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 08:01:28 am »
Just a thought, but did we want to use our collective know how to come up with a set of ideas/plans to build a decent log splitter that can be used by all the forumeers should they so want one?
My thoughts so far have included a 6" I beam as the main upright - length based on how long your maximum length of wood is, 3" or 4" diameter cylinder, stroke again dependant on length of wood.
If you wanted it as a trailable splitter, use 8" or 10" box section plated at either end as the axle and tank - if you want it as a standalone item then seperate off the tank.
A pump running at about 11 - 12 gallons per minute, driven by a 5HP motor ( all this irrelevant if driven off tractor hydraulics ) should deliver enough umph.
A few hoses, a blade and a detent valve assembly and that should be it.
Anyone else have any thoughts?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS