Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hen house door closer  (Read 7597 times)

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
Hen house door closer
« on: June 26, 2010, 08:19:05 pm »

I am not a night person so would like to buy an automatic door closer for the chook house as there are always a few dirty stop outs who just wont go to bed till late. Does anyone have one that they would recommend and how much does one cost?
Anne

meebh

• Joined Jun 2010
Re: Hen house door closer
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, 09:33:04 pm »
I have a fab one, doesn't cost much either ......my hubby  ;D, I certainly couldn't wait up for the chooks to go to bed either.  Good luck in finding one, will be interesting to see what the replies says as they do sound great especially for the summer nights  :wave:

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 10:10:37 pm »
Here's one I found, it's not exactly the cheapest of contraptions (which is why I don't own one yet lol!) http://www.flytesofancy.co.uk/chickenhouses/Auto_Chicken_House_Door_Opener.html
Hubby's definately a better option  ;D ;D ;D

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2010, 10:14:06 pm »
The door closer mentioned above is exactly the one we got - yes it seems a bit pricey at first but it is worth its weight in gold as far as I am concerned. It was very easy to install and we haven't looked back  :)

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2010, 10:20:12 pm »

Do agree hubby is the best option and does it most nights when he is at home, unfortunately he works away and is gone for 4 weeks at a time.
Had a look at the door closer mentioed and it looks great, just have to save up now.
Anne

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2010, 11:31:37 pm »
Just be a little bit wary that not all of your chooks may go into the coop in time and get shut outside.  That happened to a friends of mine and Mr Fox got the late nighter - their dogs heard something and were let out but the fox had killed the chicken but didn't get it away with him.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

knightquest

• Joined May 2010
  • Birmingham
    • Knight Pet Supplies
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2010, 11:39:41 pm »
That seems awfully expensive. As the 'hubby' of the family it seems that the duty in question will fall to me for a while yet.  :)
Ian (me), Diane (my wife) and 4 dogs. Ollie (Lab mix) , Quest (Malamute), Gazer and Boris (Leonbergers)

spikey_fridge

• Joined Mar 2010
  • stroud gloucestershire
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2010, 12:14:06 am »
mine fart about from 9pm to 20 past then wander in! suits us as we are still up being eldest and i so one of us is around to lock them up

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2010, 09:23:51 am »

spikey_fridge some of mine are still farting about at 10.30 and get quite stroppy if asked to go to bed then (just like teenagers then) ;D ;D ;D
Anne

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2010, 10:15:06 am »
My OAP hens go to bed at 8.30 - it's the ducks that are the dirty stop outs!!
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2010, 02:43:36 pm »
We got a VSBbi Automatic Door Opener from Wells Poultry Housing & Equipment.

Cost £183.14!! but that included an aluminium pop-hole door and runners as well as the timer, pulley unit and light sensor. I think that still works out more expensive that the website mentioned previously on this thread.

The fitting instructions were not that user friendly but we managed OK and set it up yesterday. We have it on a timer but there is a light sensor option aswell.

Went out to check at about 10.45pm last night and two chickens were asleep in the grass (that's NEVER happened before!) and the door was wide open. I think we didn't set the timer right so we reset it and then it worked fine.

Came out this morning to find the door had opened as expected. Have checked timer today and it is definitely keeping correct time so I think I had just set it wrong yesterday.

I think the chickens will take a little time to get used to it. They usually go in by 10.30pm so we have it set to 10.45.

Hubby complained a bit about the expense but within minutes of fitting it he was making plans to be away on Tuesday night (I'm away all week with work) - so the thing had better work right between now and then and the chooks I hope will get used to it quickly.

I think it is going to be a worthwhile investment but I don't quite trust it yet.

Susanna
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 02:47:08 pm by suziequeue »
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2010, 04:26:36 pm »
i have to say as much as i love chucks i dont think its worth dipping into your pocket
for your last pound to spend on things like a door closer.
you can spend a lot on these little creatures with regards to mite powder, verm-x etc.
im not saying these powders and wormers arent important because they are as we use them ourselves.
but as for gadgets i dont think so.
to me smallholding is about beating that trend to spend spend and doing things that we ourselves are capable
of doing e.g building things around the place that mayhave cost quite abit in shops etc.
hope i havent offended anyone in explaining as to what i believe the good life is all about ;D
langdon :pig: :cat: :chook: :dog: :goat:
Langdon ;)

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2010, 07:58:25 pm »

Sorry Langden but I can't make an automatic door closer I must have missed that eposide of Blue Peter and I am fresh out of sticky backed plastic so will have to dip into the chicken fund. They do actually earn quite a bit from the sale of their eggs and after all it would be for their benefit as I work most weekends not getting home till midnight sometimes.
Anne

egbert

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2010, 08:06:40 pm »
I think you are right Langdon in making things to save money where you can, but on the other hand if simple devices can be used to make small holding easier, then why not?  :P

I can see you now, milking your dairy cows by hand, churning butter and making cheese with a cheesecloth!  ;)  And imagine Mrs Langdons face when you tell her that rather than spending on the washing machines, she can go down to the river to pound your clothes with some stones  ;D

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2010, 08:11:57 pm »
I think you are right Langdon in making things to save money where you can, but on the other hand if simple devices can be used to make small holding easier, then why not?  :P

I can see you now, milking your dairy cows by hand, churning butter and making cheese with a cheesecloth!  ;)  And imagine Mrs Langdons face when you tell her that rather than spending on the washing machines, she can go down to the river to pound your clothes with some stones  ;D

;D ;D ;D ;D I think her reaction would be very like mine! (Stick it where?)
Anne

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS