Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Worming goslings  (Read 3841 times)

minkybean

• Joined May 2010
Worming goslings
« on: May 19, 2010, 04:45:02 pm »
We have 12 x week old goslings arriving tomorrow - can anyone tell me at what age they can start being wormed? We have 9 chickens (5 oldies and 4 newbies) who are currently being wormed as we suspect some of the new ones may have gapeworm. We use Flubenvet - hope it works!

Thanks

Re: Worming goslings
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 09:19:50 pm »
Hi,

This will probably cause some controversy etc.

But have a look at this from the UK Gov VMD reference Flubenvet, especially the definition of Domestic Producer.

http://www.vmd.gov.uk/domestickeeper.pdf

Thanks
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 10:20:33 pm by supplies for smallholders »
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 09:52:04 pm »
what have you got against this wormer its effective and safe. it may not be herbal and all that but it does its job. what scientific results have you got for using wormwood  based products. what long term studies have been done on its toxic effects. is your new herbal wormer. a full wormer or a repeller. could it be that you don't have a licence to sell it.

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 10:08:58 pm »
Im Sorry??

I did not mention any other wormer in my post.

I am only passing on some information that I have been made aware of, I have nothing against flubenvet - in fact I have used it myself on my hens.

I did not post the info as any kind of "sales pitch" and thus think your personal attack is very un-warranted and unfair.

If a post to a link outside of this forum to a factual source of information - in this case the VMD, undermines anyones position of knowledge on this forum, then I apologise, but If I am aware of something then I will share it with the community.

Thanks

« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 10:22:18 pm by supplies for smallholders »
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 11:07:37 pm »
I buy the large 240g Flubenvet from a medical company over the internet, I was told the large size is a stronger wormer and has an egg withdrawal of one week. The smaller tub is weak and has no egg withdrawal. Do you think vets want a monopoly on selling such a popular product that you can buy so cheaply on the internet?

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2010, 04:34:51 pm »
its 2 %  the 20 bird one is 1%. its the same dosage just difrent amounts. its more to do with the EU than the vets. the 1% has a withdrawl period if selling to the public but i thought it was upto the day ater you finished treating will recheck. you can still eat them whilst treating. can't work that out its unsafe to sell if treated but safe for us to eat. it really makes no sense. the kids are talking about wanting rheas a 30kg bird should be fun to deal with may make intresting roasts they are ment to be very healthy 1% fat. they only get to 6ft high.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS